Student Paper Awards
BigSurv20 Conoravirus Monitoring Decision: BigSurv20 will NOT be held in person in Utrecht in November 2020. For more information, visit the BigSurv20 home page.
Please note that the text below reflects conference planning information prior to the Coronavirus monitoring decision. As a result, it may not include the most accurate and up-to-date information. The BigSurv20 Scientific Committee plans to update this webpage in June 2020.
The BigSurv20 conference recognizes outstanding student contributions in social science or data/computer science research with a Student Paper Award. To be eligible for the award, students or recent graduates must submit a full paper to be reviewed by the Student Paper Competition Committee. For recent graduates (2019 or 2020 only), the research must have been substantially completed while the submitting first author was enrolled in a degree program. Suitable paper topics can be found by viewing the presentation tracks listed on the BigSurv20 conference webpage (https://www.bigsurv20.org/abstracts). Both theoretical/conceptual and empirical/methodological papers can be considered for the award. The authors of up to two winning papers will receive an award equivalent to 2,000 Euro (with no additional travel stipend). The award is conditional upon the awardee attending the BigSurv20 conference and presenting the winning paper.
To be considered for the Student Paper Competition, individuals must:
- Be registered as a graduate or undergraduate student at a higher education institution
- Or be a recent 2019 or 2020 graduate
- Have the abstracts that they submitted to the BigSurv20 conference accepted for presentation
- Be explicitly listed as first author of the submitted paper
- Be willing to present the winning paper while attending the BigSurv20 conference
Individuals are limited to only one submission for the Student Paper Competition. Only papers written in English will be considered. Winners of the BigSurv18 Student Paper Competition are not eligible to apply.
Students and recent graduates interested in the BigSurv20 Student Paper Award must submit a full paper and all accompanying materials to [email protected] by May 15, 2020. The email must include the subject line “Student paper award” and contain:
- A cover letter with the author’s name, current affiliation and status, contact information (address, telephone, and email), and names and email addresses for all co-authors.
- CV of the submitting lead author.
- A paper (in Microsoft Word or pdf) not exceeding 7,000 words (including title page, abstract, tables/figures, references, and appendices).
- A fully blinded version of the paper (in Microsoft Word or pdf) with all identifying information about the author(s), acknowledgements, and other identifiers removed.
- A letter from the faculty adviser that certifies the applicant's status (e.g., current student, recent graduate) and attests the contribution of the applicant and all co-authors, if there are any, to the paper in conceptualizing the study, writing the paper, etc. Adviser letters stating that "all authors contributed equally" will be considered incomplete, and will result in unnecessary delays in the application process.
Selection Process and Post-Award Process
Up to two winners will be selected by the BigSurv20 Student Paper Competition Committee. The members of the competition committee will be determined by the BigSurv20 organizing committee. All decisions are final and not subject to legal appeal. Questions can be directed to Bella Struminskaya at [email protected].
- Awardees will be notified by July 15, 2020.
- Awardees must confirm their BigSurv20 attendance for the entire conference and register by August 15, 2020.
- Awardees will be officially announced prior to the conference and recognized at the conference.
The award is conditional upon attendance and presentation. The actual award will be made within two weeks of the conference via electronic fund transfer to a designated, personal bank account.
For travel to The Netherlands, please see Travel, Visa, and Other Considerations (https://www.bigsurv20.org/travel).