Frequently Asked Questions
Q: When and where will BigSurv20 be held this year?
A: It will be held virtually every Friday in November and early December. The dates are November 6, 13, 20, 27 and December 4, 2020. The conference will be held online, so that means you can participate in BigSurv20 sessions from anywhere in the world.
Q: How much will it cost to register for BigSurv20?
A: BigSurv20 is free of charge (!!). Attendees will need to register to access the virtual conference materials. Registration will open in September 2020.
Q: Why do I need to register? What happens if I don't register?
A: Your registration will enable you to access the virtual conference sessions. If you don't register, you won't be able to attend the tremendous sessions and presentations scheduled for BigSurv20.
Q: Can you shed some light on the program?
A: The full program is currently being developed. However, to give you a hint of the amazingness being planned for you, the BigSurv20 conference will have the following format:
- BigSurv20 will kickoff with a virtual live event on Friday, November 6th. Expect an exciting keynote address by Dr. Albert Ali Salah, Professor of Social and Affective Computing in the Department of Information and Computing Sciences at Utrecht University. The keynote will be followed by an overview of the exciting events planned for the following four Fridays.
- On Fridays, November 13, 20, and 27, we will present parallel sessions focusing on special topics that are at the intersection of big data and survey science.
- On Friday (do you notice the "Friday" theme here?), December 4th, we will close the conference with a special, live closing event including a plenary session on the topic of data and privacy.
Q: Am I understanding it correctly that some portions of the conference will be live?
A: Yes, the BigSurv20 Scientific Committee is trying to incorporate both live and recorded sessions into the program. BigSurv20 is an international conference, so there is a tremendous time difference among some of our eastern-most and western-most participants. As a result, the program will include both live and recorded sessions to provide flexibility to the participants on how they view the conference.
Q: Why will BigSurv20 not take place in person?
A: The BigSurv20 organizing committee has been monitoring the spread of COVID-19 throughout the world over the last few months. There remains uncertainty about how the situation will develop in the Netherlands and around the world, and it is likely that disruptions will continue well into fall of 2020. With the safety of our participants as our main priority, we have decided that BigSurv20 will not be held in-person. Simply put, it would be very hard to properly implement social distancing measures and guarantee everyone’s well-being throughout the conference.
Q: What has changed in the transition from in-person to virtual?
A: While we are extremely excited about our plans for the virtual BigSurv20, the change in format has implications for other events at the conference:
- The student paper conference will still take place and has a new deadline. The deadline for paper submissions is July 31, 2020. Please see the BigSurv20 student paper award wepage for more information.
- The big data challenge also will take place as part of the conference. Individuals and full teams (3 or 4 people) can register between September 1 and October 23. Please see the big data challenge wepage for more information.
- As the conference will be entirely online and free of charge, we will no longer be awarding travel scholarships.
- The short courses are cancelled.
Q: How can I stay informed about all the great things planned for BigSurv20?
A: If you’re on Twitter, please consider following us (@BigSurv20, #BigSurv20). If you’re not on Twitter (or if you're on Twitter but want even more BigSurv20 details), you can peruse our current eNewsletter or subscribe to receive future eNewsletters to learn more about all the wonderful activities planned for BigSurv20.
Q: Does BigSurv20 have an email account for general questions about the conference?
A: Of course! If you have any questions for which you didn’t find an answer on our website, please feel free to send us an email to [email protected].