Continuing to explore new statistical frontiers at the intersection of big data and survey science.
When: November 4-6, 2020 (Save the date!)
Where: Utrecht University, Utrecht, the Netherlands
Call for Abstracts: BigSurv20 is currently accepting abstracts and session proposals. The submission deadlien is February 13, 2020.
BigSurv20 Overview: Following a very successful conference in Barcelona, Spain, in 2018, BigSurv returns in Utrecht, Netherlands in 2020! This conference is a meeting place for computer and data scientists with an interest in social science and data collection and for social scientists, survey methodologists, and statisticians with an interest in computer and data science.
The goal of the conference is to improve the production of statistics on topics with a broader relevance and impact for society. The conference will combine different perspectives stemming from computer science and social sciences:
- From expertly designed data carefully measuring human behaviors, attitudes, and opinions to organic, electronic data capturing massive quantities of observations about our everyday lives in real-time.
- From generating summary statistics describing entire populations to leveraging fine-grained data informing the context of each observation.
- From the sampling of individuals within populations to considering the implications of “N=all.”
- From applying the Total Survey Error paradigm to new forms of data and adopting a total statistical uncertainty framework that will be needed to encompass the new quality issues associated with Big Data.
- From doing intensive fieldwork by traveling around the country, to leveraging the power of Big data harvesting online.
We would particularly like to encourage contributions focusing on combining traditional survey data with new data sources, such as registers, social media, apps, and other forms of digital data. Expect exciting keynote speakers, short courses on cutting edge topics in data science and survey methodology, a data challenge and a series of spectacular sessions.
More Information: If you have any questions, please email us at [email protected].
We hope to see you in Utrecht in November 2020!
Antje Kirchner – Chair of the BigSurv20 Scientific Committee
Peter Lugtig – Chair of the Local Organizing Committee